Trashing the Valley since 1979


Grand Master: David Potter - tel: 570809 -e-mail:

Himalayan Mixed Hash Run No.1180

1 September 01

Hares: Roadrunner, John, and Mikael Location: Second Bungamati Tree

Hash Name: Wet Wet Wet

The hash has had an easy time with Rato Machendranath this monsoon . . . . that was until this week. Under the second Bungamati tree thirty-four punters tried to hide in the cars while a huge downpour passed, but they were forced to get outside to make payment to the GM, who pulled rank and remained inside with small slot at the top of the window to pass notes (bills for some) in. At a slight slackening in the intensity massed umbrellas appeared and a circle was assembled. The hares decided that conditions were still not hard enough and refused to make known the number of checks or whether any of them were holds. All the circle heard about was plenty of mud and false trails.

At the off the rain raised the game and the paths quickly became rivers. Gyurmi was the first to crash, not twenty paces from the circle. The trail ran down south-westwards towards the Bagmati, the initial stony surface soon changing to mud as pure and lubricated as it gets in Nepal. Hardly anyone got through without a crash. Spare Part didn't even bother to get up from his first one, abandoning legs and doing the rest on his back. A check was found half-way down, with a false trail picked up going north. However Krishna, the GM, and hare Roadrunner, who also seemed somewhat bewildered at where the paper was, finally picked up a trail going down to a hold near an old Bagmati suspension bridge.

The hares had to be congratulated for laying paper in big blobs to suit the conditions, nevertheless it took some time to get away from the check, this time east and uphill in the general direction of the road. The path ran up a long deep gully designed to concentrate the outflow of the locality. It finally emerged at a pipal tree on the main road. Could this even be the third Bungamati tree? Front hare John pointed out the check and then suggested that Jodi and the GM keep going to the north. This was done only to find a false trail and then no paper. Not realizing from the hare's behaviour that the check was actually a hold the GM struck out on his own, finding a nice level trail with a small hop over a hillock at the end which brought him to the road again, and a large blob of paper. So off he sauntered (giardia-struck) straight back to the beer. He was later totally unfairly reprimanded by the hare for ignoring the hold. After a short loop the rest of the pack came the same way, speed merchants Jodi and Krishna getting in just before the GM.

The gods showed some kindness as the rain stopped for the beer to be brought out. But ominous clouds were seen to be on the way and the circle was called together almost immediately. The hares got their due and a score of 9.6. At .05 better than last week's hash they are a lucky trio. Hare John then began a constant stream of complaints, first about comments on his haring and then about most other aspects of the hash and the performance of the GM. He got some beer. Interrogation by the circle, mainly directed by Spare Part, revealed that John's wife was probably behind his behaviour. That was another down-down. It still didn't shut him up, but the circle had had enough and the centre was cleared for other business, in the smug knowledge that the Hash has acquired another Victim, who looks likely to continue in the tradition of Mad Cow, Fully Stretched, Rodent, and the GM. First and last crashers, Gyurmi and Megabyte, were caroused, followed by MacPole, for driving into a rice field on his way home last week, but at least getting straight back out of it. Spare Part was summoned for not using his (or anybody else's) legs on the downhill sections. He committed penance by buying another hash T-shirt.

Lao Lover stepped forward to receive the Hashit almost before being summoned by the GM. Here is his own report on what happened last week:

'GM, you will be pleased to know that my Nissan jeep was retrieved from the paddy fields of Budhanilkantha at 10.00 this morning, by means of a Police crane from the Singha Durbar traffic police office. The only catch was the price - all official and with a receipt too - negotiated down from 12,000 to 5,100! The rate charged was 500 rupees per kilometre from and back to the police compound, but we reduced the distance to 10 km from the measured 24 km. I had hoped to get away with 2-3,000 rupees but no such luck.'

The rain came in again and everybody left in a hurry, trying to get away before Doug, even though there were no paddy fields to pass.